When to call a pest control company is a question we are asked so we have listed the top signs that you have unwanted house guests.
Your home is an investment in your future, so you want to ensure it is well protected.
Our Brisbane pest and termite control and inspections team are trained, certified and knowledgeable in all facets of pest control.
We have all the knowledge and experience you need to have the job completed quickly and to maintain a pest-free zone.
Signs Of Termites
Termites are very destructive and can enter a home and start causing damage without you being aware of it until it is too late
- Frass is termite waste and it looks like sawdust. It tends to accumulate near the entrances to their nests.
- If you see mud tunnels on the outside of your house, they are no thicker than a drinking straw.
- The appearance of discarded wings or a clump or winged insects likely warrants an immediate termite inspection.
- Trouble opening and closing doors and windows in cooler weather.In warm weather timber can swell and then in cooler weather the swelling subsides.When termites destroy the wood around door frames, they weaken the timber and moisture can enter into the area. These two factors can cause frames to shift or warp, which is why you’re having difficulty opening or closing doors and windows.
- The noises they make!You can actually hear termites eating and if danger is detected, the termites bang against their surrounds to warn the colony
Signs of Cockroaches
Cockroaches are not loners. If you see one, then there is likely 100 that you have not seen.
That’s why proper cockroach control is a tricky business.
- Strange smell happens when cockroaches in larger numbers give off a bad odour which is like a wet dog. It’s an oily, musty smell that comes from a mix of their pee and poo.
- Cockroach droppings look like little patches of what look like coffee grounds on the floor, they are probably pellets of poo.
- Cockroach egg casings can also be found around the place. These casings are brown in colour and shaped like a cylinder. Depending on which species of cockroach, they can hold between 10 and 50 eggs in each one.
If you don’t get the pest control problem sorted quickly, you can easily have a full-on infestation happening and that’s not fun or funny. Calling a trusted team of professionals in pest control is your best bet.
Signs of Wasps
Whenever you see a group of insects or bees swarming around your home it means it is either a food source or a nest.
- Look for these nests under decks, eaves, and balconies as this keeps them protected from the elements.
- If it is a swarm of bees, contact your local pest control company and they will arrange for a local bee keeper to come and remove the swarm.
- If it is wasps then these can be treated and care needs to be taken as wasps can quickly swarm and attack a person or pet.
There are three main types of wasp in Australia:
Paper wasps: Build nests from eaves, the underside of branches and leaves. Nests are normally quite small (maximum 100-200 wasps) and hang by a stalk. They tend not be aggressive, only stinging when defending their nest.
Mud-daubing wasps: These are large solitary wasps than build a small nest consisting of a number of cells made of mud, often plastered to the wall or ceiling. They tend not to be aggressive, only stinging when defending their nest.
European wasps: These bright yellow and black striped wasps are capable of forming very large nests of up to 100,000 individuals! The majority of nests are found in the ground (80%), often visible only by a hole (with wasps flying in and out), with the remainder of nests found in buildings (roof spaces, wall voids and eaves). These are not often found in Queensland.
Signs of Ants
In Brisbane we mainly deal with a Black ants, Green ants and Carpenter ants
Ant infestations inside the home are pretty obvious and you see them.
Often, these may be ants nesting outside coming in looking for food and moisture. Act as soon as you see them and to put all food away if this is what they are targeting.
- If you find ants in your house and cannot see where they are coming in from, you may have ants nesting in or under your house. They quite often nest in wall voids, roof spaces and behind cupboards. This can take some searching to find the nest and apply a treatment.
- Signs of an infestation outside are piles of dirt and sand appearing between pavers and mounds in the lawn.
- Also if you find family members or pets being bitten, then it is time to treat the ants
Signs Of Fleas
If your pet has fleas then you may have fleas in your house!
- If you have bites appearing on your lower legs , then you may already know you have fleas. You will have to start treating them.
- Your pet’s bed should be the first place you look, as well as any other spots your pet is allowed to sleep. Flea eggs are tiny, off-white ovals that can be hard to see on light-colored upholstery and rugs.
- Put on long white socks and walk around your home and shuffle around areas where your pet sleeps. Then, check the socks for fleas. If they’ve taken up residence in your home, odds are that a few will be visible on your socks.
Your Neighbours Have A Pest Problem
Many pests are able to travel into the surrounding properties and from one home to the next. It is especially true for mice control and cockroach infestations.
Look for the signs pests leave
In doubt call in a professional pest control and carpet cleaning service to check the property and put in place monitors or a preventive treatment.
You Have Been Trying To Do Your Own Pest Control
You have spent money on baits and sprays but the problem still exists
They do not know how often and how thoroughly they need to treat. Professional Brisbane pest control are your local expert team and are available when it is time to call in the professionals
The post When To Call A Pest Control Company appeared first on GQ Central.